EarthWords: Abuse information in many languages كورديا كورمانجى blue dot Kurmanji blue dot Kurdish
Page 1 of 1

by the Australian Government Office of the Status of Women with assistance from the New South Wales Department for Women and the Victorian Community Council Against Violence (1991)
ته​عدايا ناڨمالێ​و هيڒشا جنسى
Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault: We can all do something about it!

*see English below

Kurdish pamphlet page 1 of 1

back to top

Kurmanji pamphlet

back to top

Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault - Australia

Many women and children experience violence, often in their own homes. The violence can include insults, threats, bashings, use of weapons and sexual violence. Financial, emotional and psychological abuse are also used to control and frighten women. It happens to women of all ages and from all countries, whether they are rich or poor.

Protecting yourself (and your children) from violence is an important step to take. It is important to remember that violence happens to many women: wives, partners, mothers and daughters.

In Australia, it is a crime for anyone, including your husband or partner, relative or friend, to hurt you or your children, threaten to hurt or kill you, or to force you to have sex.

If you experience this sort of violence and your safety is being threatened you can call the police immediately on 000. If you are a friend, relative, neighbour or workmate of a woman being hurt give her the information on this leaflet and offer her your support. If you have been assaulted, or are afraid that you will be, and you do not want to contact the police you can:

  • contact any of these services—they can all arrange for a telephone interpreter
  • leave your house if you would feel safer
  • talk to a friend.

back to top

In Australia you can obtain a protection order, which aims to protect you from violent behaviour from your partner. An order may tell your partner to stay away from you and not to hurt or threaten you. If they do not obey the order you can complain to the police and they can be arrested. A protection order is not a punishment and does not give a criminal record. Any of these services can give you advice on protection orders and /or assist you in obtaining an order.

If you have been sexually assaulted by a stranger or someone you know (or someone has threatened or attempted to sexually assault you), you can contact the police on 000 or a sexual assault or rape crisis service. These services will support you whether or not you choose to make a report to the police. They can also arrange an interpreter.

Remember you do not have to tolerate violence. Many women and children experience violence in their lives. You are not alone. By contacting any of these services, you can get advice, assistance and support. You may be hoping for the violence to stop but it often will only get worse. It is never too late to start a new stage of your life.

back to top