Violence - you can make a difference - Violence against women
Do you think your husband/partner/ boyfriend is abusing you?

Signs of abuse...

Does your husband/partner/boyfriend:

  • Hit, slap, kick, punch or push you around?
  • Hurt you or threaten to hurt you in other ways?
  • Treat you like a possession, not a person?
  • Force you to have sex against your wishes?
  • Constantly put you down, make you feel stupid
    and worthless?
  • Make it hard for you to leave?
  • Not let you have your own friends?

"If any of this sounds
familiar, chances are you're
part of an abusive
relationship.  Get help."

Excerpt from Canada's Private Broadcasters' 1996 anti-Violence
Radio and Television Campaign

The first step is often the hardest. If nothing is done, the abuse will not stop, even if he says that be loves you and promises that it will never happen again.

Help is available.

If you think you have been abused…
  • Call a friend or family member you trust.  Be sure it is someone who understands that violence is never okay nor justifiable, that you are not to blame for his abusive behaviour and that your safety and your children's safety must be the top priority. If the person you tell is not supportive, don't stop, keep looking until you find someone who is.
  • Call a woman's shelter or crisis line. (#'s in front pages of phone book) A woman's shelter can provide safety, support and help with your future plans. You don't have to stay at a shelter to get help. You can talk to someone over the phone. They can help you make the choices that are right for you and find the resources you need.
  • Call the police. (#'s in front pages of phone book) Remember, violence is a crime. It is against the law to physically or sexually assault someone.
  • Join a support group. You are not alone. Self-help groups, where assaulted women meet, are extremely useful in helping women find ways to protect themselves and deal with the emotional, physical and financial changes in their lives. Check with your local shelter or crisis fine to find out about support groups in your community.
  • See a counsellor. Find a counsellor who values your right to freedom from abuse and will work with you, believe you and support your choices and decisions.
Photocopy freely